Tuesday, October 2, 2007

Tennis time!

My favorite sport is tennis, and so I was delighted when an opportunity opened up to play with Dereje, who's the tennis and squash coach on the agricultural research campus where Jordan works. The court was red clay, which I played a fair amount on as a kid since it's a pretty common surface in Sweden. But red clay is virtually non-existent in the U.S. so I hadn't played on that for many years. It made me even more excited to be out there. Dereje lent me a racket and out we went. We played a tough 3-seter that took well over 2 hours. I sweat a lot when I exercise, especially when it's warm, and so I need a lot of water. During this match I drank -- no exaggeration -- 5 liters of water. How much did Dereje drink? Not. A. Single. Drop. And he played wearing long pants. Without water I would have collapsed after 20 minutes. But he was fresh as a Federer when the match was over. Amazing. The match result? Well, I will have to take revenge on him some time in the future. For now he remains the champ, beating me 6-4, 2-6, 6-4. Check out this video clip of Dereje demonstrating his deadly forehand.

No comments: