Monday, October 1, 2007

Foosball mania

I first noticed it in Addis, then in Gonder, then in several villages along the road toward Lalibela, and finally in Lalibela: Ethiopian boys love to play foosball. These table football games were seemingly everywhere, typically with a half dozen or so boys crowded around each table to play and cheer on. I have played a few games of foosball myself in my days. I'm pretty bad but I do really enjoy it. When I first saw the kids play it on the streets of Addis I felt that itch; I really wanted to join in. However, I couldn't muster up the courage to ask. In Lalibela I was watching some kids play when one of them asked if I wanted to join. Yes. I finally got my chance. It quickly became clear though that this forenji could not compete with the local boys. Sure, they smiled and seemed all friendly, but in the end they showed little mercy as they punished me with hard shots and various tricky moves.
Louise caught a little bit of the action on camera. Let's go to the video tape...

No comments: